Saturday, January 19, 2008

THE CASE FOR CHRISTMAS

The book that caught my attention among many others that father brought home days ago. This ought to be good, dad!

Even after the holiday season, and with a gazillion of Q and A to attack for my forthcoming exam, my unrelenting desire to immerse myself with the Chirstmassy feeling never waned. Perhaps, the child in me always crave for the kinship and activities phenomenally attached to it, or, it could just be that the holidays bring a sense of hope for the better, ushering in a number of various good tidings expected thereof. Either way, I just love that special time of the year- the Christmas Season (don’t we all) ! On top of that, being a voracious reader, I am perpetually all agog over every book of interest my hands can hold. I cannot be quenched unless I devour at least a quarter of the reading material – for a start.

Having seen an assortment of hardbounds and paperbacks brought by dad, another book glutton (and who sets aside some budget for his enthusiastic weekly book spree), I immediately picked that one book which caught my eye - THE CASE FOR CHRISTMAS - A Journalist Investigates the Identity of the Child in the Manger . "Goodness!", I said to myself. I still have some of my own to read - but this one, piquing my interest ,will still catch up with my fixation in the holiday fever, lol. And maybe, I just might want to read this first, I thought.

And so I did. I just had to stop somewhere in the book to write this post,lol.

The book is under the auctorial prowess of the award-winnning Lee Strobel, the legal editor of the Chicago Tribune and a self confessed heretic until after his numerous consultations with the experts on the Bible. As aforementioned, I am not through with the book YET, but this was the initial and the compelling thrust that the book implies to its readers, with Lee Strobel, the author himself as the quintessential convert. It’s goal is to find hard facts against the controversies surrounding the birth of the Child Jesus in the manger.

The moment I cracked the spine, I knew I am bound to discover more. Amidst the paganism and the ecclesiastical traditions that surrounds Christmas day, I am looking forward myself to find out answers to certain bits of questions I had in mind. A firm believer that I am, I nevertheless still hope to emerge an even better Christian after the journey with this book.

Is there something new? Is there really something better? What have I missed being a Catholic? Or better yet, what don’t I know that I should know as a Christian? That, I have to find out.

In the meanwhile, I am all itching to continue this 96-leafed book in paperback. I stopped at page 35. Hmm, this is going to be interesting. I am on Chapter 2-The Scientific Evidence : Does Archaeology Confirm or Contradict Jesus’ Biographies?

Let's see…